Monday, February 07, 2005

PatternShare and a request for help.

Today I came across the new MS initiative called PatternShare which basically is a repository of patterns. This is an extremely useful resource for newbies to pattern world like me. I have read some parts of the GOF book a year ago but didnt take home much from it as i barely understood many many things. I hope to make a renewed attempt to educate myself over the next few months in this topic.

Readers please suggest the best way(s?) to to learn the usage and application of various paterns.

3 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger partha said...

"PatterShare" might turn out to be a good repository for learning various patterns. Why i have a hint of doubt is that how much it is relevant for Java based applications. Though "patterns" are high level solutions for various common problem areas and that's why quite independent of implementation, but still if the articles will be bit inclined towards Java World, then visualizing the things and drawing similar lines on our java development experience will be a great thing.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger David Kemp said...

I have found it useful to read other books on Patterns. Every author has their own perspective and their own way of explaining things. I can highly recommend "Design Patterns Explained" by Shalloway & Trott, and "Patterns in Java" by Grand. I have heard good things about "Head First Patterns", and "Refactoring to Patterns" but they are still on my "Must Read Soon" list.

I especially like the introductory chapters of "Design Patterns Explained" where the authors talk about how to evaluate whether or not a design pattern is applicable to the problem you are trying to solve.

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Anusha said...

Core J2EE Patterns: Best Practices and Design Strategies, Second Edition has really helped me digest most of the 15 patterns presented. The patterns are well thought, explained clearly, and demonstrated with some good code samples.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home