Tuesday, August 23, 2005

General Musings

Sorry everybody (yeah I know that means nobody). I was pretty busy last few months. Went to Boston on a business trip last month and have been catching up with "stuff" since then. As is evident this post is mainly about thoughts I want to record for posterity sake which have come to my mind over the last few months.

Lately I have started investing in value stocks in India. I spend time reading classics like Security Analysis and The Intelligent Investor. I feel that not much has changed in the business of value investing since 1971 when the Graham first wrote this tome.
The principles are the same, only there are some new industries now to look at. I think there is a lot to be understood from this book.

Also I am returning back to coding on the side as often as possible after the intermission of two months injected because of the trip and other associated activities. I guess this gives me immense satisfaction apart from other benefits.

Last weekend I went for the engagement ceremony of one of my friends whom I have known since my 8th grade. A couple of us old friends got together and caught up with each other and about others who could not make it to the event. We had a ball of a time. I was pretty surprised by how many friends of my batch are married, some even have kids.

really liked Martin Fowler's latest entry. He does explain a not-so-trivial topic with simplicity and clarity. I guess this comes with experience and clarity of thought. Thats the reason I like Head First people too. I also feel that Sealing should be avoided as taking responsibility of code (not breaking something) is basic principle and one need not tell this explicitly (using Sealing) and reduce the flexinility available to a sub-class writer. Also I hope to see anotations being used more and more extensively in java.

2 Comments:

At 4:11 AM, Blogger ShareKhan said...

Sundar, are you in Bangalore or Hyd?

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger sundar said...

i am in hyd. i think i met you in bangalore during AgileIndia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home