Wednesday, October 19, 2005

more on ruby and rails

last week i made a quick helloWorld application on rails, just to see what it takes to do a webapp on ruby and I was amazed. everything was up so quickly esp considering that I know next to nothing abt ruby and rails. the idea of "convenience over configuration" is pretty handy esp for trivial apps. these will get people hooked into this enterprise. It took me all of 3 minutes to have a webapp with web ui to do all crud operations on a backend database. (By the way, it took me something like one hour to setup MySQL properly with permissions and all.) Then I played around using ActiveRecord and some simple AJAX. I am convinced rails and ruby will gain ground pretty quickly.

I wonder how many serious efforts are on to make music and video players in ruby. I saw some by googling but was not impressed by their maturity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home